Sunday, March 1, 2009

Texans 14, Packers 8

FIRST GAME... We played our first game this Saturday (2/28). It was a hard fought game and very exciting. After a sloppy first half and trailing 14-0 we finally started playing well in the second half. Lavontae got us on the scoreboard by recording a sack and safety making it 14-2. Lavontae then added a touchdown to make it 14-8. I am so proud of the boys. They bounced back in the second half showing tremendous heart and effort. Every single one of them could walk off the field with their heads held high because they left everything on it. They gave 100% effort. Yes, we are dissappointed with the results, but the results alone don't tell the whole story. I reminded them that we are in a process here (like life) of building a winning team. We must focus on the big picture! We will improve. We will become better. We will have learned much from this game. We will make each other better.

What they showed me on Saturday laid a very good foundation for the rest of the season. Now we must build positively on this plat form. I plan to do my part. I know I have great kids and I look forward to watching them grow. Someone told me on Saturday (to this effect) you do things different then most coaches. I have thought about that a lot and wondered what the answer would be if someone asked again about that. The answer is quite simple... I love these boys and this is not just about winning football games. This is about life and boys becoming men. I am so thankful to be a small part of thier lives.

1 comment:

  1. As a mother of 5 under 12--I see your point very well, about making it MORE than winning, about helping our boys become men. We're not raising kids to be happy kids, but responsible adults. Thanks so much for being a part of this process Brent. Lana

    ReplyDelete